Details About Trichy or Tiruchirappalli home

  Derivations of Tiruchirappalli   |   Significance of Trichy   |   History of Trichy   |   Geo-Graphical Position   |   Officials of Trichy

Tiruchirappalli (spelt as Trichinopoly in the records of British India), also called Tiruchi or Trichy

Tiruchirappalli is popularly believed to derive from the Sanskrit word "Trishirapuram"'Trishira' meaning "three-headed" and 'palli' or 'puram' meaning "City". According to Hindu mythology, the town got its name from the three-headed demon Trishira (son of Ravana) who meditated on the Hindu god Shiva near the present-day Tiruchirappalli and obtained favours at this place. this derivation is not universally accepted

Tiruchirappalli might be a derivative of the word 'Chiruta-palli' meaning "little town". In a rock inscription of the 16th century, Tiruchirappalli is mentioned as Tiru-ssila-palli meaning "holy-rock-town" in Tamil at present known as RockFort.

Tiruchirappalli might have been derived from Tiru-chinna-palli meaning "holy little town"

The Madras Glossary gives the root as Tiruccinappalli or the "holy (tiru) village (palli) of the shina (Cissampelos pareira) plant"

During British rule, Tiruchirappalli was commonly referred to using the erroneous spelling "Trichinopoly". The shortened forms "Trichy" or "Tiruchi" are more frequently used in common.

Trichy is the fourth largest city of Tamil Nadu and the transportation center of the State. It is located on the banks of the River Cauvery on which the first man-made dam KALLANAI was built across. The world famous landmark in Trichy is the 85m tall Rock Fort right in the middle of the City, which used to be a military fort during the Pre-British era.

Tiruchirappalli is an important industrial and educational hub of central Tamil Nadu. The factories of Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL), Golden Rock Railway Workshops, Ordnance Factory Tiruchirappalli (OFT) and Heavy Alloy Penetrator Project (HAPP) are located in Tiruchirappalli. The Anna University of Technology, Bharathidasan University, Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Indian Institute of Information Technology(IIIT) and National Institutes of Technology (NIT) have their campuses in the city.

Tiruchirappalli is internationally popular for a brand of cheroot known as the Trichinopoly cigar which was exported in large quantities to the United Kingdom in the 19th century.

Tiruchirappalli is one of the oldest inhabited cities in Tamil Nadu, Woraiyur , A part of present day Tiruchirappalli, was the capital city of Cholas from 300 B.C. onwards. This is supported by archaeological evidences and ancient literatures. There are also literary sources which tell that Woraiyur continued to be under the control of Cholas even during the days of Kalabhra interregnum (A.D. 300 - 575).

Later, Woraiyur along with the present day Tiruchirappalli and its neighboring areas came under the control of Mahendra Varma Pallava I, who ascended the throne in A.D. 590. Till A.D. 880, according to the inscriptions, this region was under the hegemony of either the Pallvas or the Pandyas. It was in A.D. 880, Aditya Chola brought a downfall to the Pallava dynasty. From that time onwards Tiruchirappalli and its region became a part of Greater Cholas. In A.D. 1225 the area was occupied by the Hoysulas. Afterwards, it came under the rule of later Pandyas till the advent of Mughal Rule.

Tiruchirappalli was for some time under the Mughal rule, which was put to an end by the Vijayanagar rulers. The Nayaks, the Governors of Vijayanagar empire, ruled this area till A.D. 1736. It was Viswanatha Nayaka who built the present day Teppakulam and the Fort. The Nayak dynasty came to an end during the days of Meenakshi.

The Muslims rules this region again with the aid of either the French or the English armies. For some years, Tiruchirappalli was under the rule of Chanda Sahib and Mohamed Ali. Finally the English brought Tiruchirappalli and other areas under their control. Soon after the area was ceded to East India Company as per the agreement at the eve of the Kanatic war, Tiruchirappalli district was formed under the the Collectorship of Mr. John (Junior) Wallace in 1801. The district was then under the hegemony of British for about 150 years till the independence of India.

Tiruchirappalli is located at 10.8050N 78.6856E. The average elevation is 88 metres (289 ft). It is located almost at the geographic centre of the state of Tamil Nadu. Tiruchirappalli is hot and dry for at least eight months of the year.

North Latitude Between 10 to 11-30'
East Longitude Between 77-45' to 78-50'
Total Area (Sq. Km.) 4,403.83
 
Region Chola Nadu
Official Language Tamil
 
Telephone code 0431
Pin code 620 xxx
Vehicle Registration TN-45
TN-48
TN-81

Officials
District Collector Dr K.S Palanisamy, IAS
Municipality
Mayor A. Jaya
Deputy Mayor J Srinivasan
Commissioner M Vijayalakshmi
Commissioner of Police Tr. Sanjay Mathur, IPS
Members of Legislative Assembly   [M.L.A]
Tiruchirappalli-East Natarajan .N.
Tiruchirappalli-West Nehru.K.N
Srirangam S.Valarmathi
Tiruverumbur Mahesh Poyyamozhi
Lalgudi Soundarapandian A
Manachanallur Parameswari M
Musiri Selvarasu M
Thuraiyur Stalinkumar S
Manapparai Chandrasekar R
Member of Parliament   [M.P]
Tiruchirappalli P. Kumar